Why watch Sino-Myanmar relations?

China and Myanmar have been neighbors for centuries, but the modern world is bringing them closer together than ever before. The construction of pipelines, hydro-electric power plants, revitalization of the Burma road, massive migration on both sides of the border and simmering ethnic conflicts will keep China heavily involved in Myanmar for the foreseeable future. But the relationship between Beijing and Nyapyidaw is by no means simple or one-sided. China doesn't pull any strings with the xenophobic generals that run what is now known as the State Peace and Development Council. With the recent shift in US policy towards direct engagement with Nyapyidaw we can expect that things will get more interesting between China and Myanmar in the near future.

Now that you know why you should care, here is what I intend to do. I will create a detailed summary of events in the news over the past week involving Sino-Myanmar relations. While I can't always promise to stay on topic. (I might jump over to domestic issues in Myanmar or relations with other neighbors in the region such as India or ASEAN countries.) I will do my best to make the information interesting and filled with as much eye candy as possible. Please let me know if you like this subject or the content that you see here. I sincerely appreciate constructive criticism on my writing style as well. That's all for now. >)

Comments